The Mediation Process
This is an overview of the mediation process:
- Contact is made with the mediator after it is established that the parties involved in the dispute or conflict are prepared to engage in mediation.
- Mediator assesses suitability of the case for mediation.
- Pre-mediation administration documents are distributed to the relevant parties.
- Mediator makes phone contact with the parties and arranges to meet with them individually prior to mediation (i.e. pre-mediation meetings).
- Mediation site is agreed upon and the joint mediation session is held. This is a structured process that can last between 3-4 hours and in some cases may involve more than one mediation meeting.
- If an agreement is reached by the parties, the parties sign the agreement and are each provided with a copy. Generally agreements reached in mediation have a high compliance rate.
- Post-mediation follow-up of parties is the final component to the mediation process.